Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Softball has started


Wow, has time flown by. Not too long ago it was the beginning of volleyball season and I woke up the next and had to begin softball season. What a great year! We have had a trying softball season so far. We were not able to get on our field to practice before we had our first game due to snow, ice, and some rain. We did our very best. I know most teams were in the same situation.
We had our first tournament last Friday and Saturday. Two 20 hour days does a number on your body and mind for the next few days while recuperating. I finally felt better after 3 days. It wouldn't have been so bad if the weather would have cooperated. It didn't get much above freezing either day. It was foggy, soggy, and cold on Saturday. The sun never came out. I had to drive home in the fog, rain, hail, and some lightening. I was not able to drive more than 50 mph and at times 40mph. All weekend the girls were either playing, huddled up under their blankets or on the bus thawing out. We had a long but good weekend. I think I did more whining than they did about the cold weather.
Thank goodness for "hot hands" and heated insoles. I think I am a tough person until it comes to cold weather. Hopefully we will have a season that will warm up quickly. I love the sport, but absolutely HATE standing out in the cold.
I have a group of 13 freshmen that have very little experience as a whole playing softball. I thought at first that it would be a horrible experience and we would get beat every game. It goes to show you that I am WRONG sometimes and reminds me that I need to have a positive attitude every day. These girls have come out and tried everything we have told them and have worked so hard. We beat 3 teams at the tournament, tied with 1, and lost to 2 teams. I was so proud of the girls for not giving up. Granted we have a long way to go, but they are a joy to be around and I know we will do a great job this year.

No comments: